A shot to win it

By Lacey Naff

The Bridgewater women’s basketball team has been working really hard for a season predicted to be a successful one.

“I think we’re really excited. We have our two seniors, Katie Hottinger and Jess Mullen.  Jess is back, getting back into shape which is good. They are the captains this year and I think they will do a tremendous job with leadership,” said head coach Jean Willi.

The team has four new freshman, two guards and two posts.  The new additions are Jessi Strom, OShene Kelley, Gabrielle Spinner, and Cassidy Burkholder.

“I’m really enjoying being part of the team—all the girls are great. After our first scrimmage I think we are looking really good and I’m excited to see how we’re going to do. Hopefully we can live up to our fourth ranked standard,” Burkholder said.

Junior Holly Morgan said that the freshman add a lot to the team. She explained that it hurts them slightly having only one actual point guard but they have people stepping up and helping out.

Coach Willi said that the team’s practices have been upbeat and very positive. They have been working really hard, so she is excited to see what that will transfer into.

Last year the top eight teams were in the ODAC tournament. However, the format has changed and this year everyone gets to go. However, only the top four get a bye on the first day of play.

“So right away I’m thinking that we want to be in that top four. The conference championship is a goal every year,” explained Willi.

In pre-season, the team was ranked number four. Guilford was ranked first, followed by Emory and Henry, Virginia Wesleyan, and then Bridgewater.

“I think the conference has gotten better every year, but I like the chemistry, I like the combinations, and I think if we play well down the stretch then we will have a shot to win it,” said Willi.

“Our main goal is to win as many games as we can and hopefully get that ring,” Morgan said.

The first regular season game for the lady Eagles will be on Friday at 7:30 pm and on Saturday, both at Marymount University.